Associação Saúde Criança was founded in 1991 by Dr. Vera Cordeiro, a general practitioner specialized in psychosomatic medicine. It is a non-profit social organization that has no political or religious orientation.
The idea of founding the association emerged from a rising sense of indignation amongst the health professionals at Hospital da Lagoa in Rio de Janeiro as they noticed a worrying cycle of hospitalization, discharge and rehospitalization amongst sick children: when they were sent home, there was not even the minimum structure in place for them to carry on their treatment at home. Sometimes, patients would be readmitted to the hospital in an even worse state than originally and some even died. In response to this, a group of doctors, nurses and members of the public decided to take matters into their own hands and founded the association.
The main aim of Saúde Criança is to restructure these children’s families through its Plano de Ação Familiar (PAF) (Family Action Plan, or FAP program), which encompasses five core areas: health, vocational training, housing, education and citizenship.
- 2013 Voted Best NGO in Latin America for the 2nd year, by The Global Journal.
- 2012 Best NGOs in Latin America, 38th in the world (The Global Journal); 1st intl. replication at Colombia; TRIP award .
- 2011 DM9 agency offers a pro-bono campaign and becomes the communication agency of Saúde Criança. New logo.
- 2010 Saúde Criança becomes a social franchise
- 2009 Saúde Criança celebrates 18 years-rebranding,new logo and starts being called only Saúde Criança
- 2008 Saúde Criança inspired Public Policy in Belo Horizonte (MG)
- 2006 Saúde Criança began capacity building courses for the whole network
- 2005 Ashoka Partnership-Vera Cordeiro received the award "More influent women in health in Brazil"
- 2003 Start of the White Martins/Praxair Foundation sponsorhip-Better NGO in the World award,in Cairo. New headquarters.
- 2002 Creation of Saúde Criança Network-Queiroz Galvão partnership
- 2001 Saúde Criança internal Professionalization Project-Implementation of family database
- 2000 BNDES donated R$500.000-Avina Partnership
- 1999 Parque Lage headquarters launched-Presidential decree lease and Permanence
- 1998 Donation of Parque Lage headquarters by Icatu Bank and Vivi Nabuco
- 1997 McKinsey donated more than 5 thousands hours of pro bono consultancy
- 1996 Unimed and Unicef sponsorships began
- 1995 Lending of Professor Sylvio Fraga’s house as headquarters for the institution
- 1994 Professionalization Project began (external courses and working tools donation)
- 1993 Social assistance area began
- 1992 Vera Cordeiro becomes an Ashoka fellow- Launching of the Anzol Project
- 1991 Establishment of Renascer(today Saúde Criança) at Parque Lage-First child helped
To promote the biopsychosocial well-being of children and families who live below poverty line, approaching health in an integrated way and as a social inclusion instrument.
Through its pioneering and multidisciplinary methodology to fight poverty, Associação Saúde Criança works for the construction of a world where human rights and social inclusion are a reality.
Social responsibility, integrity, solidarity, transparency and social justice.